Default, Forfeit & Substitute Policy
This policy is intended as a deterrent. While it is each team’s prerogative to decide whether or not to play each week, it is our expectation that as part of the agreement we make in allowing your team’s registration, we will allocate a space for your team in return for your team attending and utilizing that space to play against other teams. When your team forfeits or defaults, another team is missing out on a game they have paid for.
Covid-19 as a reason for defaulting or forfeiting a game is an accepted rational by Urban Rec, please note that even with Covid-19 all the below policies rules apply.
A default occurs when a team is unable to provide a game to their opponent with the minimum required number of players within 10 minutes of the scheduled start of the game. Simply speaking a default means no game was played.
What happens if my team defaults?
- If your team defaults (i.e. does not provide a game to your opponent), you will be charged a $100 default fee, and your team is at risk of immediate removal from further participation in the league.
- The default fee must be paid within 2 business days of the recorded default
- The default fees collected will be distributed to the opposing team
- Urban Rec will make every effort to collect all default fees. However, in the case that a team does not pay its default fee, they will be removed from the league and banned from further Urban Rec participation (hardcore). In this situation, no compensation will be awarded to the teams that were victims of the default until the defaulting team pays the fee. We cannot pay out default fees until they are collected.
If your entire team (more than 5 people) need to default due to government direction relating to Covid-19 close contacts, you will be required to show proof of testing to avoid paying the default fee.
A forfeit occurs when a team is able to provide a game to their opponent, but their rostered team and/or rostered substitutes did not participate. This means that the team had to use players from other teams within the league.
There are 2 types of forfeits:
FORFEIT LEGIT: Occurs when it is a ‘forfeit,’ but the opponent agrees for the recorded score to be the actual game score.
FORFEIT FRIENDLY: Occurs when the game is a forfeit, and the opponent wants the score to be recorded as the ‘forfeit friendly’ score, as outlined below per sport.
- Aussie Rules = 50 – 0
- Cricket = 50 – 0
- Basketball = 10 – 0
- Dodgeball = 10 – 0
- Flag Gridiron = 20 – 0
- Hockey = 10 – 0
- Multisport = 10 – 0
- Netball = 20 – 0
- Soccer = 5 – 0
- Softball = 10 – 0
- Street Soccer = 5 – 0
- Touch Football = 5 – 0
- Volleyball = 3 – 0
What happens if my team forfeits? Regardless of if it is a ‘forfeit legit’ or a ‘forfeit friendly,’ the following steps will be taken:
- The forfeiting team will receive a 3 for FUN Points
- 1st time a team forfeits -> WARNING #1
- 2nd time a team forfeits -> A default fee of $100 is charged to the forfeiting team, and the team is at risk of immediate removal from further participation in the league.
- The default fee must be paid within 2 business days of the recorded default.
SUBSTITUTE PLAYER POLICY AND QUESTIONS
Is it OK to bring substitutes? Absolutely. However, it is the captain’s responsibility to ensure any substitute players have (1) created an Urban Rec member profile; (2) completed the online waiver for the current calendar year; (3) acknowledged the code of conduct for the current calendar year; and (4) been added to the team roster. It is also the captains’ responsibility to explain to any ring-ins that this is a social comp. Our Event Hosts will be performing random Urban Rec member profile checks for any new faces in the league. If your substitutes do not have an Urban Rec member profile and have not been added to the team roster, they will not be able to play until those steps are completed. Please remember you may not borrow players from teams within your league, as this is a forfeit!
Is it OK to borrow players from other teams? If you do not have the minimum number of players to field a team according to your sport’s rules, your team can borrow players from another team in order to have a game played, but it will be a forfeit. It is then your opponent’s choice if they would like it to be a forfeit legit (score counts as is) or a forfeit friendly (score is a loss for your team with the score as per your sport’s rules). As long as a game is played, it is a forfeit and not a default.
The opposition said we can borrow a player from another team, and we don’t want to forfeit. Is that OK? By definition, a forfeit occurs if you are using a player from another team within your own league. As such, if your opponent has agreed to let you borrow the player, fantastic! – it is still up to them whether it will be a forfeit legit (score counts as is) or a forfeit friendly (score is a loss for your team with the score as per your sport’s rules). It must be stated clearly BEFORE the game starts if the score will be recorded as a ‘forfeit legit’ or a ‘forfeit friendly.’ Remember, as long as a game is played, it is a forfeit and not a default.
If we forfeit, and still play a friendly, will we be forced to pay the fee? The 1st time your team forfeits, your team will be issued Warning #1, without a fee to pay. If your team forfeits a second time, you will be forced to pay the $100 default fee, and your team is at risk of being removed from the league for the rest of the season.
What about exceptional circumstances ? Of course, if something has happened, please talk to your League Manager, and we will consider your situation. Please note these discussions must occur via email to [email protected]. If we have enough notice we can do our best to ensure a friendly match is played.
What if my team are forced to forfeit due to Covid-19? Please give as much notice as possible to allow us to perform our usual process of arranging a friendly or alternative game for your opponent. At the latest 5pm the day before your game is due to be played.
Can we ask to have our game time moved, so we don't need to forfeit? We will do everything in our power to make sure you and your team can play your scheduled game. We have limitations with venue bookings, staffing, and sometimes rain and sunlight, so there is no guarantee we can do this.
What if I know in advance that my team can’t make it?
- If 7 or more calendar days’ notice is given by a team, we will do our best to reschedule the game so that you do not miss out on a game.
- If you tell us prior to 5pm the day before your game, we will do our best to organise a friendly game and you will not need to pay the $100 default fee.
- If the team fails to provide a game (i.e. no game is played) then it is a default game and a default fee is charged, and the defaulting team is at risk of being removed from further competition.
- If the team provides a game, but there are players from within the same league participating, then it is a forfeit.
** Please note that all communication related to forfeits and defaults must be done via email to [email protected] **